Welcome to the official government web site of the City of Thomaston, Georgia. Steeped in history tracing back to the early 1800s, the City of Thomaston is a town of about 10,000 residents. Located along the banks of the Potato Creek in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, Thomaston is within 60 miles of three of Georgia's major cities: Atlanta, Macon and Columbus, an area also known as the golden triangle. This excellent location provides our citizens with the luxuries of a peaceful rural life along with the benefits that these larger cities have to offer.
Named one of the best 100 small towns in America (The Best Small Towns in America, by Norman Crampton), our friendly community has a lot to offer both the residents and visitors. Thomaston serves as a multi-county regional hub for state of the art health and medical services, retail centers, educational facilities, employment and business opportunities. For our citizens and businesses, the Thomaston City Government provides extensive residential and commercial services including comprehensive water and sewage services, electrical services, full service garbage pick up along with volunteer recycling, 24/7 fire protection, and a well-trained professional police force.
Thomaston has something for everyone:
- If you would like to start a business or relocate your existing business we have several unique locations available on our historic downtown square.
- If you would like to play some golf, we have two 18 hole golf courses located less than 5 miles from downtown Thomaston.
- If it is entertainment you want, our Art Deco Ritz Theatre houses the largest movie screen in the area and provides current movies at a reasonable rate.
- If it is culture you want, visit the Thomaston Upson Art Council and Gallery located on the square.
- If it is history you like, the Thomaston Upson Archives is located one block off the square.
- If it is camping, hiking, mountain biking, you might want to visit Sprewell Bluff State Park or the Thunder Scout Reservation.
- If you would like a fun family outing, visit The Rock Ranch, a short drive from downtown Thomaston.
- If you would like to experience high flying excitement, check out Sky Dive Atlanta housed at the Thomaston Upson Airport.
- If it is just a peaceful place you desire, visit our Greatest Generation Park.
Thomaston is only a 30 minute drive from beautiful Callaway Gardens, Roosevelt State Park, and the historic Little White House.
Our community hosts a number of regional festivals and events providing fun and entertainment for all ages. Whether it is the Spring Cleaning Yard Sale, Christmas Parade, Emancipation Day Celebration, Kids Day at the Park, Santa on the Square, Christmas Light Parade, or Christmas in the Park, Thomaston is the place to be for community activities. (see Events section for complete listing)
Visit, Work and Live in Thomaston and discover our rich history and our progressive future.
City of Thomaston Code of Ordinances
City offices will close early Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 4 p.m. NOTICE
City of Thomaston, Municipal Planning Retreat Agenda